You know what you should totally do? You should grab a couple of friends, whip up a bunch of delicious breakfast-y foods, and enjoy scarfing it all down in late morning September sunlight and crisp air with copious amounts of coffee. Have first, and then seconds, and then thirds. Sit around talking about politics for an hour. And then pour yourself another cup of coffee and watch Doctor Who.
You can thank me for this great idea later.
Our brunch menu today consisted of: apple sausage patties, ricotta & pesto pie, cheesy veggie hashbrowns, strawberries and blueberries and this tiramsiu French Toast. And coffee. Always coffee.
- 1 loaf challah bread
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- cocoa powder, for serving
- maple syrup for serving
- Sliced strawberries for serving
- In a large baking dish, whisk together eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee powder, sugar, cinnamon and cream
- Slice bread into 8 thick slices. Soak each slice for about 30 second on each side
- Butter a griddle or skillet over medium heat, cook soaked break slices for 1-2 minutes on each side, until browned. Add more butter if needed.
- Mix together mascarpone cheese, honey, and remaining instant coffee in a separate bowl
- When the french toast is done cooking, top with the mascarpone cheese mixture. Dust with cocoa powder. Serve with maple syrup and strawberries.
- Drink another cup of coffee, duh
Recipe via one of my favs: How Sweet Eats