As has been covered here in a previous post, everyone in my house, including my dogs, love broccoli. Obviously when I saw this recipe, I couldn’t wait to try it, and with good reason. Sadly, I made the horrible mistake of halving the recipe, meaning there were no leftovers. Let ye not be so stupid.
A nice thing about this recipe is that it can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be, depending on how much you feel like making from-scratch ingredients. I used my favorite home made pizza crust and this pizza sauce for dipping, but it could just as eaisly be thrown together with store bought equivalents on a busy night. I did, however, go with the frozen chopped broccoli, which meant that this came together in minutes and I had time for a beer with my brother (and sous chef) while the calzones were in the oven.
The recipe I’m posting is the half-size, and it makes 4 decently sized calzones. It easily doubles and would be a fabulous freezer-friendly option, so I’d recommend buying twice what you need and going for it.
- 1 pizza crust – homemade or store bought
- 1 10-oz package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pizza sauce, for dipping
- In a large skillet, saute garlic and onions in oil until softened. Add broccoli and red pepper flakes and saute for 5-7 minutes until most liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool
- In a separate bowl, combine cheeses and salt and pepper
- Mix broccoli and onion mixture into cheese mixture
- Cut your dough into 4 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball, and roll out into a circle
- Put 1/2 – 3/4 cup of filling on one-half of each dough circle, leaving a border. Fold the dough over in a half-moon and crimp the edges
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
Recipe via Martha Stewart