My brother Michael has just returned from a semester in Shanghai and a month in Seoul and when I asked him what type of dessert I should bring to our family gathering, he said quite simply, “Something with chocolate.”
I debated for a while and decided on Boston cream pie. Everyone enjoyed it, and I enjoyed making it, even though the process of making custard always sort of turns into an existential crisis. You’re just sitting there stirring forever, and you start to think there is no way it will ever thicken, and your eyes glaze over and you start to think about life, the universe and everything. And just between wondering if there is life on other planets and trying to decide what you are going t make when you throw away this custard because there is no way it is ever going to set — that’s when it comes together and you are ready to go.
So make this dessert on an occasion when you have time to think about life. At the end, you get to dump a bunch of ganache on top of a cake and watch it drip down the sides, so it all works out in the end.
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Beat eggs and sugar on high for 15 minutes
- In a separate bowl, measure out 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Remove 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of the flour and replace with equal amounts of cornstarch. Add Salt
- Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Add milk and vanilla and stir to combine
- Grease 2 8 or 9-inch cake rounds and bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove from cake pans and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Pastry Cream filling – Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Pastry Cream filling – Instructions
- In a sauce pan, combine 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup sugar and heat on a low setting until the sugar dissolves
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk, egg yolks, corn starch and vanilla.
- Slowly add the egg-yolk mixture to the heated milk
- Stir this mixture continually (FOREVER) until the custard becomes thick and smooth.
- Stir in butter and allow mixture to cool \g
Chocolate Ganache – Insgridents
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Chocolate Ganache – Instructions
- Assemble the cake but spreading an even layer of custard between both cake layers, after both the cake and custard have cooled.
- When the cake is ready, make the topping by heating chocolate in a sauce pan until melted. Remove from heat and quickly stir in heavy cream.
- Pour mixture over top of the cake (and eat the rest with a spoon, clearly)
Recipe via Bijouxs