I’m officially half way through my 52 foods project, and I’m bringing one of the simplest recipes I’ve made to-date. One of the most important things that doing this project is teaching me is just how easy it really is to make things from scratch and to enjoy unprocessed foods. Before starting this project, I stood behind that idea a lot in theory, but not so much in practice. From-scratch was typically reserved for special occasions. Six months ago, all my pasta sauce came from jars. Now, I don’t even consider it an option. That’s progress.
A few weeks ago, I started a small herb garden in a container on my (extremely tiny) porch. I am no gardening expert, not by a long stretch, but taking care of these few plants is just another example of how I’m learning to be more self-sufficient when it comes to food and gaining some confidence in my abilities.
So this week’s recipe is a simple pesto using walnuts and my garden’s basil. Pesto is becoming a favorite of mine, and I use it in a lot of ways; today, I tossed my pesto with whole wheat pasta and threw some toasted walnuts and Parmesan cheese on top. Another favorite of mine is slathering pesto on a homemade pizza crust and topping with with Fontinella and mozzarella cheeses and roasted pepper slices. I adore it as a sandwich spread, especially in the summer time, paired with vegetables fresh off the grill. Check out some links on the bottom of the post for more ideas on how to use your pesto.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts (or pine nuts)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Pulse garlic, basil, and walnuts in a food processor
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Continue to pulse and slowly pour in olive oil in a steady stream.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl if needed, and pulse in cheese
- Add salt and pepper, to taste
Recipe via Simply Recipes
My pesto-related “to make” list. Let me know if you try any, or if you have other ideas!
- Pesto Cannelloni
- Braided pesto broccoli bread
- Pesto Dinner Rolls
- Pesto and potato gratin
- Pesto and portobello pizza