The sun is shining, it’s officially grilling season, and I celebrated my birthday this week. What better excuse for a nice icy drink? So: let’s make margaritas! Come one, we’ll even put fresh fruit in it and pretend it’s good for us. Happy weekend, everyone!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups cantaloupe, cubed (about one large cantaloupe)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- zest and juice of one lime
- 4 oz tequila (or more if you’re feeling feisty)
- Make a simple syrup by combining the sugar into simmering water and stirring until sugar is desolved
- Blend cantaloupe, mint, lime juice and lime zest in a blender
- Stir in tequila and simple syrup
- Place mixture in the freezer until it turns slushy, at least two hours
- Buy extra cantaloupes. I made a triple batch and they went fast.
- I froze the batch I made in a large lidded container that I usually keep cookies in. I popped it in the fridge about an hour before the party and it was nice and icy, but not quite drinkable. I threw it back in the blender with a splash more of tequila to get the right consistency. Perfect!
- If you aren’t into alcohol, I think this would be pretty tasty with double the amount of Sprite in place of the tequila. You’re just going to want to freeze it for a shorter period of time.
- Recipe via Self Magazine