You know how some pretentious foodies will do that they where they bring up some really complicated recipe and try to act like it’s the simplest thing in the world? You know, those people who want to be name dropping their imported vinegar and truffle oil and copper saucepans just to let you know that they are oh-so-much-fancier than you, and that your cooking prowess will never be a match for theirs? I’m totally about to half-way do that to you.
I say half way because I am going to insist that if you can’t make this recipe, you simply aren’t trying. I will, however, leave the fanciness and pretense behind. Let’s get real: I bought all of these ingredients at Aldi. I love that this is a super easy way to elevate an everyday recipe; You don’t need fancy equipment or hard-to-find ingredients. Just 10 extra minutes.
- one 12 ox box rice krispies cereal (or generic equivalent)
- two sticks unsalted butter
- 2 10.5 oz bags mini marshmallows
- 2 hearty pinches of salt (Kosher salt if you are fancy, natch)
- Brown the butter over medium-high heat in a large saucepan or pot. If you’ve never browned butter before: melt it, and keep whisking over high heat until you get a nutty aroma and see it start to turn dark. Once it gets dark, turn the heat down right away, because it’s super easy to burn.
- Mix in marshmallows until melted
- Working quickly, mix in cereal and salt
- Press into 9×13 pan prepared with nonstick spray
- Let cool and cut into bars.
- I never browned butter before, so I wasn’t sure how long this was going to take. Plus, since I was making such a large batch, I decided to use the gigantic stock pot my husband uses to make chili. I had my face all up in there like Paula Deen getting some weird buttery facial, but it paid off and I did not burn the butter. I also had the foresight to set a timer, so I can share with you that it took about 10 minutes for this amount of butter to brown.
- It’s rice krispie treats — what else is there to say?
Recipe via One Lovely Life